// Tin can desk organizers, with cork and polka dots. So very recycled and crafty. //
Guys, it’s officially SPRINGTIME! Even though its currently snowing in Central Ohio (seriously, snowing), I’m trying to stay focused on the fact that the calendar says warm weather is approaching, and I can’t help but get going on bright and happy crafts like this adorable polka dot cork desk organizer. And the best part? It’s made out of tin cans, which I know you all have in your pantry. Cook up some of those tomatoes or corn that you have in those cans tonight and then get crafting on this simple project!
- tin cans – cleaned and dried, labels removed. Don’t limit yourself to tin cans! I also had a giant pill bottle that I used for some extra height.
- cork sheet
- scissors and knife
- acrylic paint
- a “polka dotter”
- large, colored rubber band
- 1. Trace each can around on the felt, then cut out and glue the circle into the bottom. This step is actually optional, but I wanted to keep scissors in my tin cans and didn’t like the thought of dropping them onto metal over and over again. Plus it’s just a nice detail that makes them feel less like tin cans and a little more finished.
- 2. Measure and cut out the cork to wrap around the entire can. Glue the cork down. I tried a couple a different types of glue and hot glue worked the best for this application.
- 3. After the cork is secured on the can, start polka dotting! I used a circle sponge brush, but if you don’t have that feel free to get creative. I love how Stephanie used a pencil eraser to add polka dots to her t shirt scarf, so cute!
- 4. Once the paint is dry arrange the cans and secure them together with the giant rubber band. And now you have a cute new organizer!
I’ve been on a bit of an organizational kick here lately. In case you missed them, check out my other “get organized” crafts: the Upcycled folded book organizer and Chalkboard paint jars. Which one was your favorite? Leave a comment below and let me know!