Over the last year my closet has been in a state of deep decline. Clothes have been shoved deeper and deeper into the recesses of space, and sadly instead of solving the problem, I actually went out and bought more hangers to accommodate my growth.
Over the course of the last week I got Spring Fever, but when I couldn’t find any warm weather clothes in my closet to garden outside I decided it was time to take action and organize the closet.
I’m happy to report that my closet is in great shape after a week of purging, sorting, organizing, labeling, and boxing.
Here are my 5 tips to an organized closet:
- Pull everything out of the closet and lay it out on your bed. You can’t organize if you don’t know what you’re working with. It’s not pretty, but you need to do this step to get to the end of the tunnel.
- Once you have everything, and I do mean everything out of the closet space, clean it. Vacuum, dust, scrub, wipe. Do whatever you have to do to get the space spic and span before you put anything back in.
- Now go look at everything you’ve pulled out. It might hurt a little to see what you’ve accumulated, but it’s okay, we’ll get through this together. Be really honest with yourself and start purging. If you haven’t worn something in 6 months ask yourself if you will in the next 6. If the answer is no, get rid of it.
- Make three piles with your clothes: sell, donate, keep. They’re pretty self explanatory. Sell is for local consignment shops, eBay, Etsy, or yard sales. Donate is for friends or thrift stores. Keep is what’s left over for you.
- Put all your clothes back in the closet. If something needs to be mended or sent to the dry cleaner, take care of that before you put the item back in your closet or you’ll never remember to do it. Maybe I’m speaking from experience. I like to go one step further and organize my clothes by color. It helps me stay more organized when I’m putting clothes away and frankly, it’s prettier. It also helps me to see deficiencies in my color palette. I noticed yesterday when I put everything back that I only have 4 red-ish shirts in my closet. That needs to be remedied ASAP.
What do all of you do when organizing your closet? Any pointers or great ideas you want to pass on to the rest of us? Later I’ll show you what I did with my shoes. Poor Viktor doesn’t have an ounce of space left.