High five! Potato salad recipe season is here (aka SUMMER!) and I’m betting you’re as excited as I am to get the grill fired up and spend your evenings outdoors. One of the most popular summer BBQ side dishes is potato salad. This potato salad recipe isn’t one that’s been handed down from my grandma or Great-Aunt Martha or anything. It’s just a little something I’ve come up with that is full of goodies that just about everyone will love. And by goodies, of course I’m talking about bacon, cheese, and Ranch dressing. (Did your heart jump a little at the thought of that artery-clogging goodness?)
Potato salad recipe lovers, unite!
Don’t worry, we’re dolling up this potato salad recipe a bit more, and taking it out for a spin on the BBQ circuit by adding some fresh lemon juice, herbs, and green onions. I even went as far as making homemade mayonnaise. (I know.) Store-bought is just fine too. Be sure to use good, thick bacon so it doesn’t disappear when you cook it. You want to know that bacon is there in every single bite!
And then there’s the shredded cheddar cheese. Because why wouldn’t you put cheese in this potato salad recipe? If you want to, you can kind of think of this as a loaded baked potato salad because that’s what it tastes like. And you, my friends, are going to love it. You will be the most popular person at the Memorial Day BBQ or at your family’s dinner table.
Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 lbs. red potatoes cut into eights or quartered if small
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like homemade the best)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Ranch dressing mix
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked thick-sliced bacon, crumbled (about 8 ounces uncooked)
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Cover the cubed potatoes with cold water Add salt. Bring to a boil and cook until just barely tender, but not falling apart. Drain and cover with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and let finish cooling completely. (If making ahead, you an chill the potatoes for a few days in the fridge.)
- Whisk mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, ranch dressing mix and pepper together. Taste and add more dressing mix if needed. (It should be well seasoned, but not overly salty.)
- Pour the dressing over the cool potatoes and gently stir to coat well. Stir in the cheese and 3/4 of the green onions, and some fresh parsley. (Save the remaining 1/4 of the green onions and some parsley for the garnish. Before serving, top the salad with the extra green onions and parsley and sprinkle with the 1/2 cup bacon.
- Serve immediately.
Makes about 8 servings.
Now go out and make some BBQ plans so you can show off your new potato salad recipe.