If you like Greek salads, you’ll love this chicken salad. It pairs all of the favorites of Green salads–tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives and feta, with the fun addition of minced capers, tossed together with a creamy, lemony yogurt dressing that will knock your socks off.
We ate this on fresh, organic salad greens from a local farm as a gluten-free lunch. But we also think this would be fantastic inside pita bread or on a soft roll for a light dinner, or as is for a healthy power lunch. To make it even more substantial, you could add some cooked, cubed potatoes and double up on the dressing. However you make it, it’s sure to be a hit with your family. The dressing is so fantastic you might just want to drink it. Just sayin’.
This would be a great addition to any potluck BBQ as an alternative to, or in addition to, a burger and other traditional fare. Other options–add some diced roasted red pepper or shredded carrots. If you buy rotisserie chicken from the store, this would be a great way to use up some of the leftovers. You could even add shredded coleslaw mix, if you wanted.
To round it out the meal, a perfect dessert for this salad would be a refreshing fruit sorbet, or slices of chilled watermelon.
Greek Chicken Salad
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts, about 1 lb.
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional, but good)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup seeded cucumber, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped capers
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- a few tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- pinch of each: dried oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lettuce leaves or pita bread, for serving
Mix all of the salad ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together and drizzle over the salad. Toss well to coat. Let sit for about 30 minutes for flavors to blend. Serve on top of lettuce leaves or inside pita bread.
Makes enough for 4 good-sized servings.
– article + photos: Lindsey Johnson of Cafe Johnsonia –