It’s summer. It’s hot. I want something to eat that doesn’t involve turning on the stove. I also crave the freshness of summer produce. This is the perfect lunch to fill me up and keep me running after my kids. Pssst! It’s also gluten-free and vegan. Which means it’s healthy. It’s also portable. Take it with you on your way to the pool or the park. Whip it out when you’re on a hike. Perfection wrapped up in one little corn tortilla.
Other veggies would be great in this too–I’m thinking crisp strips of red bell pepper, leftover roasted veggies (zucchini), thinly sliced radishes, and corn. Instead of hummus, try a little bit of re-fried beans. Lunch is served.
Hummus Avocado Tacos
To make 4
- 4 corn tortillas (you could also use flour tortillas or pita bread)
- 4 Tbsp. or more hummus
- a few handfuls baby lettuce or spinach
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 8-12 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded, cut into thin slices
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- dash each: cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt
- squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
Spread 1 Tbsp. (or more) hummus onto each tortilla. Layer lettuce, avocado, and veggies on top of the hummus. Sprinkle with the green onions and spices. Squeeze lemon or lime juice on top. Fold up and eat.
— article + photos: Lindsey Johnson of Cafe Johnsonia –
I’m a leader in the Udi’s Gluten Free community, and my most recent question is: Where do you find hidden gluten in your food? I’ve been seriously shocked at what food have gluten in them, you should check out the list, it’s fascinating.