For me, I get just as excited as Valentine’s Day breakfast as I do the dessert and dinner recipes. I mean, really, how fun is a special breakfast? The kids love it. My husband loves it. I love it. Crepes seem like they are too fancy for a weekday breakfast, but it’s completely not true! With this crepes recipe, you can make the batter the night before, and all you need after that is a really great nonstick skillet and loads of butter. You could even make them in advance, layer them between sheets of waxed paper, and reheat in the morning.
Plain crepes are great, but adding vanilla bean takes them up a notch and adds a little special V-Day flair. These are filled with a lightly strawberry cream which is nothing more than your favorite strawberry jam mixed with low-fat cream cheese. Simple and easy. That’s how we like it.
Vanilla Bean Crepes Recipe with Strawberry Cream Filling
adapted from The Joy of Cooking
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For strawberry cream:
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese (could sub mascarpone)
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 2-4 Tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1. Place all crepe ingredients into a blender and puree until very smooth and lump-free. Transfer to a pitcher or large measuring cup, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 30 minutes, or up to 2 days.
- 2. To cook, heat a crepe pan or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a little butter and swirl to coat the pan. Pour about 2 Tablespoons of batter into the pan. Tilt the pan to allow the batter to coat the entire bottom of the pan. The crepe will be very thin. allow to cook until the top is set. Carefully turn over and cook the other side until golden. Transfer to a plate. (Can layer with waxed paper if you plan on making them in advance.) Repeat with the remaining batter. (Cooked crepes will keep for about 1 month.)
For strawberry cream:
Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the jam and vanilla bean paste. Beat again until fluffy and creamy. Set aside until ready to use, or store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Spoon 1-2 Tablespoons of the strawberry cream into the center of a crepe. Roll up and dust with powdered sugar.