We bought our new home 2 years ago. It’s cozy (small-ish by western US standards), and we spent the first year here finishing the basement. I never knew choosing paint could be so traumatic. The major work is done, now it’s time for prettying things up outside and in, like with our toddler’s room. I was aiming for comfortable, cheerful, boyish, but not babyish or too grown up. On a very very snug budget. I’m pleased with it so far, though it probably will not be featured in any design magazines soon. We did our best to make use of existing items, hand-me-downs, and sentimental pieces plus a few bargain buys. I’d love your feedback.
- headboard: homemade. not perfect, but suitable for now
- bedding: vintage cowboy sheets from Potter Barn Kids (they were a clearance item) and IKEA duvet. $10. M calls it his windmill blanket.
- quilt: made by my sister for M as a newborn. more cowboys
- bedskirt: leftover from my single years
- shelf: $14 from Roberts Craft, painted by me, treasures include a pair of cowboy boots that belonged to my husband and a silver train “bank” gifted from a dear friend.
- dresser: IKEA. notice the knobs are removed from the bottom. did you know that 2-year olds know how to use them as toe-holds, rock-climbing style?
- lamp: pottery barn, from our newlywed days. I’m just so-so about it.
- baskets: gifts from my mother that I wasn’t using elsewhere
- a canvas hamper full of soft toys in the corner
- artwork: a vintage reproduction rodeo poster from Red Mesa, near the childhood homes of both my parents. It was free, found folded inside a cookbook I purchased. IKEA frame.
More plans: I’d love to replace the lampshade, if not the whole lamp. And the dresser will need some tlc after all of the abuse it’s taken–perhaps repainting it white?
I’m struggling with the big wall above the bed. It’s blank, but rather a focal point and I have no idea what to put there. There are a few cowboy elements in the room that just sort of happened, but I’m not fond of making everything “match” or thematic.
Suggestions, dear clever readers? I could really use the help!