Have you ever made a DIY oatmeal bath? Oatmeal is so great for dry, stressed out, rashy, and irritated skin. We used to buy the lovely packets made by Aveeno, but they get pricey if you need a soothing oatmeal bath more than once a year, so I made my own DIY oatmeal bath mixture for pennies!
Check it out.
How To Make A DIY Oatmeal Bath
- 1-2 cups oats (any kind: old fashioned, instant, etc)
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Mix together 1-2 cups of oats. (Use 3-4 cups if you have a big bathtub)
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to oats.
- Blend oats and baking soda in a blender until they blend into a fine powder. We use our Ninja Blender to completely puree the oats + baking soda into a really fine, soft powder.
Step 4 (optional)
- Pour powdered oat + baking soda mix (your new oatmeal bath!) into a porous sachet.
- Toss sachet into a warm bath (hot water dries the skin out even more – boo!) and let it dissolve completely in the water. If you don’t want to use a sachet to hold the oatmeal, no big deal. Just pour the oatmeal bath straight into the water and let it dissolve.
An oatmeal bath is so soothing to irritated skin. I’ve given oatmeal baths to my kids for eczema, sunburn, itchy winter skin, wind burn, allergic reactions, you name it. The baking soda makes skin soft and smooth and is a perfect addition to the oats. Take as many oatmeal baths as you need until your skin chills out. Straight out of the tub, gently pat yourself dry (don’t rub!) with a towel and immediately lotion your whole body with your favorite gentle, natural, non-irritating lotion. I love using coconut oil on dry, rashy skin.
There you go! Never buy packets of oatmeal bath again! Happy bathing.