Every summer I put together a little ‘Welcome to Summer‘ bag for my kids. Just a collection of small summer toys and fun things to get the kids excited about the start of a fresh new summer after finishing a long, hard school year. The bags have gotten a little different as the kids have gotten older, but they always include some element of fun, and once in awhile they include something related to whatever trip we have planned for the summer.
This summer we’re not taking a big trip, we’re hanging out closer to home while we try to figure out why my baby girl has been throwing up for almost three months. But we’re still planning to have the Summer of All Summers at home.
Grab whatever bags you’ve got hanging around the house. Sometimes I use beach buckets, but this year I used some reusable shopping bags I had left over from a party called SocialLuxe Lounge which I co-hostess every year. The bags just need to be big enough to include whatever you’re tucking inside.
How To Make Some Fun Summer Bags For Kids
Think summer! Include fun things your kids don’t necessarily play with to keep it fresh.
- Sidewalk chalk – My kids always love sidewalk chalk for driveway murals + spur of the moment art
- Bubbles – No one is ever too old for bubbles
- Sunglasses – Because when you’re cool, the sun is always shining
- Glow-In-The-Dark Sticks – Perfect for late nights in the yard, sleepovers, camp-outs
- Butterfly Net – So many summer creatures to catch + inspect!
- Water Balloons – Self explanatory
- S’Mores ingredients + marshmallow roaster
- Beach Ball – Self explanatory
- Granola Bars – To keep up all that summer energy
- Nerf water gun – To cause general fun + mayhem with friends + siblings
The great thing about making a summer fun bag (or five) is that it doesn’t need to be filled with expensive things to make it exciting. The idea is to put together things that represent summer to you and will spark random fun in your yard. Squirt guns represent summer to me and my kids, and we can spend hours running around in the backyard chasing each other.
Beach balls, or any balls for that matter, have the same effect as squirt guns, they both create general chaos and fun with no work required. Only fun, all the time!
What are you doing for fun this summer? Sticking around home or headed off for grand locales? Summer is our most favorite season of all. We’d rather have a casual summer night BBQ and dinner on the deck all summer long than do anything at all. Tell me, how do you play in the summer?
This post is sponsored by Quaker Chewy.Quaker Chewy helps give kids the energy they need to play. Quaker and NERF teamed up to fuel backyard fun, helping families get out + active together, in their own backyards. When you buy three specially-marked boxes of Quaker Chewy, you can enter the codes online at http://fuelfun.quakeroats.com to get a free Nerf sports item.