Goat cheese pizza with fresh summer corn!
One of our favorite family recipes in the summer is this fresh, homemade goat cheese + corn pizza with prosciutto and basil. It’s seriously the bees knees, and is in my dinner menu rotation at least once a week all summer long.
I didn’t even know you could put corn on a pizza until we tried it on our family trip to Europe a few years ago. We spent a few days in Budapest, Hungary in a charming, crummy little hotel on a tiny cobblestone side street in the city. Next to the hotel was a cheap little sidewalk cafe serving all sorts of Hungarian foods we didn’t recognize or know how to eat. But it was so inexpensive we ate there at least twice a day. Eventually we ordered a version of this pizza, not sure what to expect. It took 45 minutes to get our food, way longer than any other food we’d ordered from the cafe, but we were assured everything was fine, and our pizza was on its way. Eventually, a guy on a little Vespa scooter pulled up to the restaurant with a pizza bungeed to the back, and a few minutes later the pizza was presented to our table. We were delighted with the fact that the pizza was ordered and delivered from another restaurant across the city. Tickled pink, actually. And as it turned out, the pizza was the most delicious thing we’d ever eaten in our lives. We ordered it a few times after that, and each time, the same guy with the Vespa showed up to deliver it to our sidewalk cafe almost an hour after we ordered it.
Since then, I’ve been trying to replicate the recipe, with mixed results. But this is as close as I can get without actually being on a sidewalk cafe in Budapest, with small glass bottles of sparkling water, and pizza delivered on a Vespa.
We do what we must.
And here’s the delicious recipe for you!
- pizza dough
- fresh corn
- olive oil
- fresh basil
- sea salt
- red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- prosciutto or other smoked meat
- goat cheese
- Roll out the pizza dough until it's flat and ready for toppings.
- Cook 2 ears of fresh corn and slice off the kernels.
- In a small bowl, mix together enough olive oil to cover the pizza and add 2 cloves minced garlic.
- Mince half the red onion.
- Spread the olive oil mixture across the pizza dough and sprinkle the minced onion on top.
- Sprinkle a light sea salt mixture across the dough.
- Spread freshly cooked corn on the pizza.
- Crumble the goat cheese, and using a spoon or your hands, dot the dough with goat cheese.
- Place fresh basil leaves on the pizza.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes at 375 on a pizza stone, or until the dough is slightly browned.
- Once the pizza is out of the oven, lay slices of prosciutto across the dough.
- Slice and eat!
I’d love to know if you try the recipe, so let me know what you think of our family recipe for this unbelievably delicious fresh corn + goat cheese pizza.