Now that those stockings are hung by the chimney with care, it’s time to fill them up! As much as I love wrapping up a beautiful gift and finding that just-right-oh-so-special item for a loved one, I’m a sucker for the stockings, and always have been. I have fond memories of delightedly pulling lip gloss, chocolate Santas, new books, and once even a much-longed for Swatch watch out of my stocking as a child. So, I try to put plenty of love and fun into stockings for my own family. After all, some of the best things come in small packages, right? Check out these suggestions for universally appealing stocking stuffers for kids. There are even a few things here that teens and grown ups will love, too.
- Books, whether the next in a favorite series (we love Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew) or something new.
- Any classic old fashioned toy like jacks, pick up sticks, or marbles
- Bubble bath or shower gel. These lovely formulas for sensitive skin are worth a try.
- Chocolate. I like old fashioned chocolate Santas, but any kind of chocolate or candy will do of course.
- Toy cars and trucks. Even girls would get a kick out of these vintage autos
- Something cozy, like socks or mittens in bright colors and patterns.
- Lip balm or lip gloss–even my boys love these eos balms to keep in their backpacks
- Legos. A mini set, mixels, or mini figure is sure to please boys and girls both.
- A special bauble like a necklace or bracelet or a watch.
- Art supplies–new crayons, paints and brushes, pastels, or even play-do will be enjoyed long after the holidays.
I love that I can find things like books, bubble bath, mittens and paint sets at just about any local department store or online retailer, and they won’t bust my budget. Of course, you can never go wrong with gift cards for iTunes, a favorite restaurant or shop, or movies. Big kids and little kids alike get a kick out of them. What are some of your favorite stocking stuffers?