Summer Dinner: BBQ Chicken Sliders With Cheese
// This post is sponsored by Cache Valley® Creamery, a Utah company creating expertly crafted cheese for over 75 years. All opinions, and recipes are my own. Thank you for always being so kind + supportive of the sponsors that keep Petit Elefant running. //
I don’t know how you feel about it, but I am a huge BBQ fan. I love the actual flavor of barbecued food, (who doesn’t? – YUM), I love gathering people I love around a delicious meal, and most of all, I love that most barbecues take place in warm, sunny summer weather. Toss it all together and you have the makings of some happy memories to carry into the (inevitably) beautiful sunset.
So, what do you love to serve at your barbecues? The menu options are endless, but once in awhile I really enjoy a classic barbecue with simple crowd-pleasing favorites, only … with a twist.
Today’s recipe is a classic BBQ chicken recipe, served on slider buns with cheese from Cache Valley Creamery. Cache Valley is a company that believes good cheese comes from a good place, which is why they take their inspiration from the people, values, and beauty from the Cache Valley, Utah region. Which is, whoa, pretty.
If you’re hosting a bunch of people, this chicken recipe is a really simple one made more fun in a smaller size, (also known as: sliders) like you’re hosting a, you know, legit party. People can eat smaller portions of the traditional, tasty grilled BBQ chicken they love, with plenty of room for a side salad or some fruit and veggies. (And please bless someone brings cake because I don’t even know you if you don’t serve cake at your barbecues.)
By the way, I really loved the idea of two versions of this recipe, so I included both. You can either actually grill chicken on a BBQ, or you can cook the chicken in a crock-pot, shred, and add BBQ sauce when it’s done. Both instructions are in the printable recipe below so you can have a couple of options at your fingertips. Or grill tips. Whatever.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this BBQ chicken sliders (with cheese, holla!) recipe. You can also whip it up really fast on a weeknight for a family dinner.
Yussssss! *fist bump*
- 12 slider buns or soft dinner rolls
- 2-3 thawed chicken breasts
- garlic salt
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cups BBQ sauce + more to use as a condiment
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce or spinach
- sliced sweet or dill pickles
- 1½ cups shredded Cache Valley Cheddar Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Make the BBQ chicken two ways: cook in a crock pot and shred OR grill chicken breasts on BBQ
- FOR SHREDDED BBQ CHICKEN:
- Put 2-3 chicken breasts in crock pot with enough water to cover breasts halfway
- Add ½ cup chopped onions
- Add 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Cook thawed chicken breasts in crock-pot for 3-4 hours, or until chicken falls apart when touched with a fork
- Drain any remaining excess water and shred chicken with two forks
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Add 1 cup BBQ sauce to shredded chicken and mix well.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheese to chicken. Set aside.
- Dress buns with BBQ sauce or other preferred condiments
- Spoon shredded chicken onto buns
- Sprinkle as much cheese as desired on buns with chicken
- Spread sliders onto cookie sheet and brush with melted butter
- Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is warm and cheese is melted
- Remove sliders from oven and top with sliced pickles and chopped lettuce
- Serve warm with a side salad, fruit, chips, or any favorite BBQ sides
- FOR GRILLED CHICKEN BREASTS:
- Preheat BBQ grill
- Slice 2-3 raw chicken breasts in half horizontally with kitchen knife
- Brush breasts with BBQ sauce and place on grill
- Flip chicken breast when cooked on one side and brush flipped side with BBQ sauce
- Repeat until chicken is cooked
- Cut cooked chicken in half or thirds - small enough to fit onto buns
- Repeat dressing instructions for shredded BBQ sliders
- Serve with favorite BBQ sides and enjoy!