I thought I’d pop in and share a beauty tutorial with you — the smokey eye. I know it sounds intimidating, especially if you’re not really a makeup kinda gal, but it’s a lot easier than it looks. There are many variations and options you have while creating a smokey eye but today I am going to focus on a very basic version of it. Maybe I’ll get into adding colors and such a bit later.
Let’s get started!
What I used for this look:
- Makeup Primer – I used Smashbox & I love it.
- Naked 2 Palette – however any palette or individual colors of black, smokey grey, light/shimmer grey, and a beige/cream work perfectly.
- Strong black eye liner. I used Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color in Smoke. Something like this is perfect because it’s not just a liner. You can smudge it out to create that awesome smokey look.
- Mascara. I use Voluminous by L’Oreal. Continues to be my favorite.
- Falsies (optional). No reason to spend a ton on them either, the e.l.f. brand works fabulous for just $1.
Alright, now you’re ready! Let’s get to work on this smokey eye look.
Let’s break this down by photo.
- Start with a primer and a cream/beige color all over your eye lids for a good base.
- Take the darkest of the colors you’re using, in this case the black, and place it along the eye lash line, in the creases, and a bit up onto the brow bone.
- Take the dark smokey grey color you have and starting in the middle of the eye lid apply and work your way out, leaving the inner corners clear. Don’t worry about blending at this point
- Take the lightest grey you have and apply to the inner corners of your eyes and up into the inner crease. You can apply up to the middle of the eye or even over the black if you want to tone it down a bit. If not, just keep it in the inner corners. Also apply the cream/beige just under your brows. You want it clean up there, but not exactly a shimmer grey.
- Apply liner with a stick like the Laura Mercier one I mentioned. On the outer corners, bring the stick up into the outer corner/creases a bit. Don’t worry about blending it, just put it in the outer corner.
- Take a blender brush, the one that comes in the Naked 2 palette is perfect, and blend the liner into the outer corners up into the creases.
- Apply mascara and you’re done!
Easy enough, right? It’s such a glamorous, sophisticated look. Here are some tips to help this go smoothly for you:
- Having a good blender brush is key. This is a blender brush in case you were wondering. This will help bring the look together in the end.
- Do your foundation after you’ve done your eyes. I actually do this all the time, but think about how much eye shadow falls as you’re doing your eyes. This way it will all be fresh and perfect when you’re done!
- Always keep the inner corners clean and bright. It will brighten and open up your eyes.
- Do not bring the black into the middle of your eye lid. Keep it in the outside creases and maybe a bit on the upper brow bone.
- No need to do anything else with the rest of your face. Just some nice foundation, blush, and gloss in a soft shade, not too much pigment or you’ll look overdone.
I am sure you can conquer it if you give it a try. Follow these seven steps to the perfect smokey eye and you’ll be perfectly ready for your next date night. This may even be an excuse to schedule a date night.